This is one of the best barbeque sauces I have ever tasted. I was at a restaurant in Baton Rouge and I ordered their appetizer which consisted of boiled shrimp with this amazing sauce. I asked about the recipe and they actually gave it to me. There are actually three things that make this sauce different, they are bacon, fresh cilantro and red bell pepper. The restaurant was run by a young couple who were very inventive with other dishes as well. They also owned an Italian restaurant that had gluten free pasta early.
Fresh Barbeque SauceCourse: Uncategorized
4 strips bacon
1.2 green bell pepper, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 tablespoon good quality balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
2 large red bell peppers, chopped
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon southern barbeque spice mix
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the green pepper and celery with the bacon until bacon is crisp and the vegetables are cooked.
- Add balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chopped tomatoes and red bell peppers.
- Cook on low until the vegetables are soft and tomatoes have cooked down (20 minutes). Add lemon juice.
- Place the cooked ingredients and cilantro in a food processor and puree until fairly smooth.
- Serve with toasted bread, cooked shrimp, chicken and sausage. Keeps for about 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
- I also use this sauce to make the best barbequed beef sandwiches ever. Combine this sauce with cooked and shredded beef and you have the best barbeque sandwich you have ever had.