This is one of my series on appetizers that I need for this Christmas season. As I am making them, I thought about making them more like sides so I could use them any time. I like how healthy this is and low in fat, even with the little cheese in it. If you left out the cheese, it would be vegan. If the Cajun seasoning has salt, you might not have to add any in the end. You could also pre boil the broccoli in salted water and then you would not have to add any.
Broccoli and Cheese DipCourse: Uncategorized
2 ½ cups finely chopped broccoli florets, steamed until barely cooked
½ package firm tofu
½ cup cashew cream
1 teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasoning, onion and garlic free
1 teaspoon lemon balm or lemon verbena
½ teaspoon white pepper
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon thyme
½ cup roasted and salted sunflower seeds
2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
Salt to taste
- Turn the oven on to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the broccoli, cashew cream, tofu, Cajun seasoning, peppers, and herbs in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a casserole dish and sprinkle the top with grated cheddar cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the dip has heated through and the cheese has melted. Sprinkle sunflower seeds on top.
- Serve with gluten free chips or crackers.
- This turned out so nicely I know I will make it again. I like spicy foods and this just enough spice to make it interesting.