I usually don’t make a lot of appetizers but this is the season when there are parties and events and most of the time we are asked to bring something so I decided to modify a few appetizer recipes.
While I modify the recipes to leave out onion and garlic but keep the flavor, I also try to use ingredients that are healthier overall, although I can’t leave all the cheese out!
Corn and Spinach DipCourse: Uncategorized
2 tablespoon olive oil
16 ounce package frozen spinach
10 ounce package frozen corn
3 cubes vegetable bouillon cubes (check that onion or garlic are not in the list of ingredients)
1/2 cup cashew cream
1 Anaheim or poblano pepper
1 stalk celery
2 tablespoon fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon basil
2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil, add the chopped pepper, parsley and celery. Stir and let cook on low until the vegetables have wilted.
- Add the bouillon cubes, spinach and corn, and stir until well combined. Turn heat on low, and cover until the vegetables have defrosted.
- Add the pureed cashew nuts. Mix well. Add ½ of the cheddar cheese.
- Pour the mix in a small casserole. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with blue corn chips or gluten free vegetable crackers.
- I will post a recipe for the cashew cream. I use it for all my recipes that normally call for either cream, sour cream or cream cheese.